Data Science Manager (Tokyo)
Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of users around the world, and a leading news aggregation mobile app. Our mission is bigger than simply aggregating news, and we are working to break through the filter bubble and deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it. Join us and make a difference!
- Build and lead a team of data scientists to partner with cross-functional teams across the organization from product to marketing to engineering.
- Work closely with product managers, marketing, designers, and engineers to prioritize data projects which will maximize business impact and inform product strategy and planning.
- Be hands-on in conducting AB test analysis and provide actionable insights regarding product/UX changes for user onboarding, engagement, retention, and monetization.
- Dive deep into product usage patterns and develop domain expertise about segments of user behaviors and interests for online news and content.
- Help create and improve predictive models (e.g. predict user lifetime value or user churn).
- Technical university degree or equivalent knowledge
- Experience managing a team focused on data science / analytics
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- 5 or more years of analytical work experience related to apps or websites
- 3 or more years’ experience in one or more programming languages used for data analysis (Python, R, etc.)
- Advanced SQL
- Intermediate knowledge of applied statistics (fit regression curves, build predictive models, choose sample sizes, etc.)
- Experience with A/B testing
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with analysis of digital or mobile user interfaces
- Understanding of machine learning and end-to-end deployment
- Understanding of data engineering tasks (e.g. data warehousing, model deployment, using data workflow tools like Azkaban or Airflow)
- Experience related to marketing / user growth, including 3rd-party APIs and tools
- SmartKitchen - Healthy lunch on a daily basis for free
- ChikyuCoffee - Delicious coffee provided by our Barista every day
- Event space - Free use for any kind of meet up
- Foreign language development support
- Various social insurance benefits included
- Transportation coverage (Maximum 50,000 yen)