Director of Product, Growth
Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for over 10 million people around the world, and a leading news aggregation mobile app. Our mission is bigger than simply aggregating news, and we are working to break through the filter bubble and deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it. We are seeking talented, strategic product director with a “get-it-done” attitude to lead our US growth strategies and roadmap. Join us and make a difference!
Let’s be honest, “growth” is a loaded word in a startup. Who doesn’t want to grow and shouldn’t growth be integrated at every stage of the user’s journey? You understand that growth is a mindset, not simply a role or job description. You believe that there is a science to building the growth engine that fuels the magic of product innovation, and that sustainable growth comes from a laser focus on the unit economics at the top and bottom of the user funnel, from acquisition and onboarding to retention and reactivation. You push for new ways to think outside of the box and will own and build out the growth team roadmap, processes and capabilities to deliver measurable impact.
- Scale top of the funnel user growth from acquisition to activation and optimize the conversion from an install to an engaged user
- Build and lead a cross-functional team including marketing, design, product, and engineering, and analytics to create a growth roadmap, prioritize strategic initiatives, deliver and execute scalable solutions with highest impact
- Develop and own product roadmap with detailed quarterly plan and KPI objectives to achieve company’s growth targets
- Define, analyze and ship experiments that inform product strategy and consistently make high priority trade-offs between performance, speed to market, usability, short-term and long-term success
- Work directly with other members of the executive and functional teams to craft and execute company-wide initiatives involving product team resources
- Maximize efficiency in a constantly evolving environment where the process is fluid and creative solutions are the norm
- Partner to create and improve an agile, cross-functional product development process, implement “just enough process” to achieve predictability without compromising agility
- Strong interest in the news industry, solving big problems, and belief in the mission of SmartNews
- At least 8+ years of experience building great products and leading successful growth efforts in a cross-functional B2C environment. Having an early career in engineering, development or design roles is a major plus.
- Strong analytical and statistical skills and experience defining and understanding A/B testing, funnel analysis, conversion, consumer acquisition, retention and go-to-market strategies
- Experience defining product priorities and initiatives based upon quantitative data and qualitative feedback
- Excellent oral and written communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with business and technical people
- Ability to break down complex and detailed information into an organized and consumable format
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance with a results-oriented and data-driven approach
- Possesses a ‘user first’ attitude and demonstrates a passionate commitment for the customer experience and product quality.
- Bachelor or Master of Science in a technical degree.
NICE TO HAVE
- Advanced SQL and Python skills
- Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
- Japanese language fluency or interest in learning Japanese