Senior Product Designer, UX
Want your work to be seen by millions of users around the world? SmartNews has won numerous awards and has been downloaded by millions of people. We’re looking for a talented designer who wants to build the world’s greatest news app—and help us deliver quality information that matters to humankind. Together, we’re working to break through the filter bubble and eliminate fake news. Join us and make a difference!
You are passionate about creating holistic product experiences for users from all different walks of life. You are mobile first in your design approach, and are able to rally your peers around a concept. You can align both design and user experience to the strategy and business goals of the company, while clearly defining the “what and why” all the way up to the executive leadership team. Most importantly, you know that design is fundamentally about understanding people’s behaviors, interpreting between needs and wants, and creating a conduit between the product and the user in service of improving the person’s daily life.
- Communicate and present the “what” and “why” of design decisions and approaches to range of audiences within company from executives to product teams to engineering teams
- Present and effectively communicate conceptual ideas, design rationale and the specifics of user-centered design process
- Partner with product managers and engineers to translate business problems and product requirements into compelling product solutions that provide a delightful user experience and aligns with company strategy
- Create information architecture diagrams, wireframes, prototypes, and user flows to develop and evolve product concepts
- Gather and evaluate user feedback through user interviews, feedback surveys and user testing
- Combine quantitative data analysis and qualitative user research methods to build deep understanding of user behavior and inform product strategy
- Develop design guidelines, style guides, best practices and templates to scale the design practice within the company and educate the organization on how design drives company goals
- Juggle multiple responsibilities across the entire lifecycle of a project from prototyping a concept to leading design reviews to developing designs for production
- Collaborate closely with cross-disciplinary teams including engineering, marketing, ad sales, and external consultants
- Execute under the constraints of scope and timelines while maintaining high integrity of design and UX principles
- Minimum of 7 years experience with proven track record working as UX designer on multi-disciplinary, collaborative teams building products at scale
- Strong background and experience in information architecture and design
- Experience in running whiteboard sessions to communicate a concept or strategy
- Excellent verbal and communication skills, articulating design decisions and storytelling
- Ability to effectively manage time, prioritize tasks, and work within deadlines with little supervision
- Ability to provide clear, honest and objective feedback in order to continue raising the bar for the product and design team
- Expert in the tools of the trade, e.g. Adobe CC, Sketch, and various design and prototyping software
- Possesses high attention to detail and consistency
- Must be a team player, open to accept feedback from anyone, and recognize that good ideas can come from anywhere, no matter the level or job description
- Passion for the news as a fourth pillar of democracy and belief in mission to create better understanding and accountability between people through delivery of quality information not based on filter bubbles
Nice To Have
- Multidisciplinary background such as Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Sociology, or Anthropology
- Experience managing or mentoring designers or building a design team. This role has potential to grow to be a leadership management role.
To be considered for this position, you must include your portfolio, website or other samples of work.