Part-time Content Operations Associate
Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of users around the world, and a leading news aggregation mobile app. Our mission is bigger than simply aggregating news, and we are working to break through the filter bubble and deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it.
The Content team is responsible for content quality assurance, creating and building new content experiences within the app, and delivering news through push notifications. We are seeking a part-time Content Operations Associate to provide coverage in the evenings, which includes occasional weekends and holidays. The role will focus on performing quality assurance operations for content in the SmartNews app and push notifications for news. Additional responsibilities include building new content channels, data analysis and special event coverage.
This is a “work-from-home” paid position on a 1099 contractor basis (hourly rate TBD), with dial-in meetings once per week and occasional in-office lunches and activities. Rate is commensurate with experience. We are looking for a minimum six-month commitment, and a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Quality assurance checks of content within the app including categorization and headline condition.
- Monitoring the news cycle for newsworthy stories and breaking news opportunities.
- Sending push notifications.
- Evaluating user content concerns and escalating as-needed.
- Monitor baseline metrics for app performance.
- Contributing to the development of new content channels including identification of trending topics and research.
The successful candidate will have:
- Background in digital media - journalism/newsroom and/or content operations experience preferred.
- Candidate must possess news judgment and the ability to recognize important developments in-real time.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and learn new technology quickly.
- Must be an excellent communicator and a team player.
- Must be able to contribute to a 24/7 coverage operation and work with a team across multiple time zones.
- Basic understanding of various technical components of publishing on the web.
- Desire to learn more about algorithmic news and inner workings of news apps.