Data Scientist (San Francisco)
Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of users around the world, and a leading news aggregation mobile app. Our mission is bigger than simply aggregating news, we are working to break through the filter bubble and deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it.
We have big problems and challenges to solve in order to achieve our mission. We are looking for someone with an insatiable curiosity to deeply understand user experiences and content consumption, and a passion to build a world-class, data-driven product. Are you an experienced data scientist passionate about product development? Join us, and help build the top news app in the US and beyond, and help people break through the filter bubbles and bias in reading quality information.
- Analyze data to inform strategy and product/UX changes for user onboarding, engagement, retention, and monetization. Proactively ideate analysis projects and prioritize them.
- Dive deep into content consumption patterns to understand interests and behavior of different user segments as well as importance/relevance of different types of content
- Surface data insights via visualizations and dashboards as well as written and verbal communication
- Work closely with designers, product managers, and engineers to conduct A/B tests and iterate on better product improvements
- Create and improve predictive models (e.g. predict user lifetime value or user churn)
- Work with data engineers to design and create data tables for analytical purposes
- Develop deep domain expertise about users of online news and content
- Technical university degree or equivalent knowledge
- 3+ years of analytical work experience related to apps or websites
- 3+ years of experience in one or more programming languages used for data analysis (Python, R, etc.)
- Advanced SQL
- Intermediate knowledge of applied statistics (fit regression curves, build predictive models, choose sample sizes, etc.)
- Experience with the Mac/Linux command line
- Strong communication skills
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience managing/mentoring other data scientists
- Experience related to marketing / user growth, including 3rd-party APIs and tools
- Experience with A/B-testing and analysis of digital user interfaces
- Understanding of machine learning
- Equity included
- 100% medical, dental and vision insurance coverage (60% coverage for dependents)
- Monthly housing, commute, mobile phone and gym allowances
- 401k matching program
- Free lunch, snacks, drinks, etc.
- Pet friendly office