Senior Technical Program Manager
Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of people around the world, and a leading news aggregation mobile app. Our mission is bigger than simply aggregating news, and we are working to break through the filter bubble and deliver the world’s quality information to the people who need it. We are seeking talented, strategic, technical program managers with a “get-it-done” attitude to build the global product operations team. Join us and make a difference!
SmartNews is hiring an experienced Program Manager to be the first to join and build out the Global Product Operations team. The Product Operations team is responsible for managing the product development process that enables the product teams to scale, transform, and execute at global strategic levels. This role will be directly responsible for creating and managing the processes that will drive alignment across multiple product teams, as well as build the foundations for a global Product Operations team to elevate product execution. This role will report to the SVP Product.
The successful candidate will work directly with the product teams, engineering teams, and business owners to ensure deliverables fall within established timelines and scope. They will oversee, manage and direct the implementation of projects and programs that require the definition, development, delivery and deployment of technical solutions that meet stakeholder needs and are compatible with business drivers.
We are looking for a creative and dedicated individual who can be be a change agent to drive the company’s growth at a global scale and build processes to support a culture of transparency, collaboration and innovation at every step. Our ideal candidate is structured, but flexible, and provides just enough formality to successfully deliver products.
- Manage overall product roadmap to support the strategic business objectives
- Coordinate between multiple product teams to align objectives and execution
- Work closely with Product Managers, Designers and Engineering to scope projects and develop implementation project plans, measure project goals, objectives, tasks, timelines and monitor progress toward achievement.
- Identify risks and manage project dependencies and critical path items between different product teams.
- Establish and conduct cross-functional meetings to communicate expectations, project roles, status updates (including schedule, milestones, metrics, risks and issues) and work with all parties to resolve issues as required.
- Establish processes, procedures, and workflows that are consistent with agile, iterative product development to enable product and engineering team to focus on execution.
- Maintain excellent communication with all levels of management, be responsive to feedback and facilitating communications between team members.
- Coordinate and ensure internal resource availability and allocation.
- Effectively manage/engage with remote teams and facilitate communication within and between teams with members located in different timezones.
- Work directly with SVP to build out functions of the Product Operations team.
- 5+ years of managing software technology projects
- BS/BA with a technical degree and/or equivalent work experience
- Proven working experience as a program manager with delivering technology/software projects, via Iterative and Agile software development methodologies
- Proven ability to work with developers and communicate clearly to non-technical audiences
- A thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Desire to work in fast-paced, multitasking, fluid environment with ever-changing priorities
- Flexible management style - ability to quickly adapt to diverse and changing environments and business needs
- Strong ability to work independently and manage time, with minimum oversight
- Strong organization and execution skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to confidently handle the top responsibility for project completion
- Strong knowledge of project management and documentation tools such as Jira, GitHub, G Suite (Google Docs, Calendar, Spreadsheets and Slides)
- Ability to stay focused on big picture, perform multiple tasks and prioritize competing responsibilities based on workload, management directives, and customer demands
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, proven ability to communicate effectively with both business and engineering staff
- Strong ability to work together cohesively as a team, toward a common goal, creating a positive working atmosphere, and supporting each other to combine individual strengths to enhance team performance
- Ability to negotiate for competing resources and to generate consensus among multiple priorities
- Japanese language skills
- Certification: CPM, ACPM, PMP preferred
- Equity included
- 100% medical, dental and vision insurance coverage (60% coverage for dependents)
- Monthly housing, commute, mobile phone and gym allowances
- 401k matching program
- Free lunch, snacks, drinks, etc.
- Pet friendly office